When a tooth is so badly damaged that it isn’t salvageable,Dr. Koenig may recommend a dental implant. These advanced restorations can replace a damaged or lost tooth, or act as a support for a bridge or denture to restore more than one missing tooth.
Candidates for dental implants
The first step to obtaining dental implants is to contact our team At Hans Koenig DMD and determine if you are a good candidate. People who need dental implants usually have:
- Lost a tooth or teeth to decay or trauma
- Potential bone loss in their jaw due to the absence of original teeth
- A desire for a natural looking restoration to replace the missing tooth / teeth
Benefits of dental implants
Dental implants don’t just replace a missing tooth. They have many other benefits as well, including the ability to:
- Replace a tooth lost days ago or one lost years ago
- Reestablish the support system a full row of teeth provide to each other
- Preserve your remaining jawbone, reducing the risk of additional tooth loss
- Restore normal speech, eating, and facial structure
- Provide a foundation for bridges and dentures.
- Last the rest of your lifetime, with a 95-98% success rate
- Improve your smile, your self-esteem, and your self-confidence
The dental implant process consists of several steps. First, a treatment plan is devised with a clear vision of the restored smile. If the tooth remains, it is removed from the implant site, and a titanium post is placed into the jawbone to act as a “root” for your new tooth. An abutment is attached to the implant, to later support a natural looking crown.
Each stage of treatment is either performed in our Orlando dental office or in the office of a recommended specialist, typically an oral surgeon or periodontist. Each step is spaced out from the last, first to allow the implant to fuse with the bone in your jaw, and second for your gum to heal around the implant site. Once the implant and post have been placed and are stable, the crown will be attached to create a “tooth” that is strong, durable, and indistinguishable from your other teeth.
If you need replacement teeth, we invite you to learn more about dental implants at a complimentary consultation. Dr. Mark Farag will be happy to answer your questions and explain your options. He is qualified to offer dental implant restorations to replace single teeth and to secure dentures, partials, and bridges.
Dental implants have been used extensively for many years and are a natural-looking, durable solution for missing teeth. Many traditional denture wearers have switched to implant secured dentures because it gives them back the control and convenience they had with their natural teeth.
Want a dental implant consultation? Contact our office for an appointment, and Dr. Mark Farag will help you figure out if dental implants are right for you.